Expand Your Vocabulary

There are so many words in English that can be used to represent more than one meaning depending on the context. Thus, it is not surprising that many of us tend to fall into the trap of expressing ourselves using the same word over and over again. After a while, it makes you kind of sick hearing it, really.

Some examples of such words are: get, take, good and great.

In this post, we will take a look at the word good and see how the overuse of this word makes the passage below sounds monotonous and tiresome. (yawn)

After a good night's sleep, I woke up early the next morning. I looked out the window and thought to myself, "Looks like the weather is good. Maybe going for a walk will be good for me." Minutes later, I phoned up my good friend, Ella and asked her to go with me for a walk in the park.
Later that morning, Ella came by with a box of doughnuts. But she was hardly in the house before I grabbed the box out of her hand. Shoving a pink-iced doughnut into my mouth, I moaned, "Mmmm, this is really good. I could eat the whole box and still want more,you know."
"Sure, I don't mind. I don't really like doughnuts, anyway. I bought them especially for you," replied Ella while making herself comfortable on the couch and turning on the tv.
"Aww, that's so good of you, Ella," I mumbled with my mouth full.
"Well, what's a good friend for if not be good to you," she chimed back.
A good two hours later, the two of us walk out the door for the promised walk in the park. But as it turned out, the sky was already dark and soon it was going to rain. So, we cancelled our plans and walked back into the house. We spent the rest of the day watching tv instead.

Compare the above with the 'remedied' version below and gauge for yourself if the rewritten version sounds better or still as boring.

After a peaceful night's sleep, I woke up early the next morning. I looked out the window and thought to myself, "Looks like the weather is sunny. Maybe going for a walk will be healthy for me." Minutes later, I phoned up my close friend, Ella and asked her to go with me for a walk in the park.
Later that morning, Ella came by with a box of doughnuts. But she was hardly in the house before I grabbed the box out of her hand. Shoving a pink-iced doughnut into my mouth, I moaned, "Mmmm, this is really delicious. I could eat the whole box and still want more,you know."
"Sure, I don't mind. I don't really like doughnuts, anyway. I bought them especially for you," replied Ella while making herself comfortable on the couch and turning on the tv.
"Aww, that's so kind of you, Ella," I mumbled with my mouth full.
"Well, what's a close friend for if not be nice to you," she chimed back.
full two hours later, the two of us walk out the door for the promised walk in the park. But as it turned out, the sky was already dark and soon it was going to rain. So, we cancelled our plans and walked back into the house. We spent the rest of the day watching tv instead.