Word Choice & Length of a Sentence

When writing, your message can be expressed in more than one way. The choice of words and how they are phrased can lengthen or shorten a sentence. For instance,

1.)  a. According to my opinion, the book is well-written. [8 words]
      b. In my opinion, the book is well-written. [7 words]
      c. I think the book is well-written. [6 words]

Note: To shorten the sentence, according to can be replaced with in when in use with the word opinion. However, do not ever use to my opinion  or according in my opinion for they are not grammatically correct.


2.)  a. I am in favour of the old system. [8 words]
      b. I favour the old system. [5 words]

Note: When the verb [be] is used before the word favour as in Example 2.a., the preposition in must follow the verb [be]. It is because the word favour in Example 2.a. is not a verb. However, favour is indeed a verb in Example 2.b.. Thus, it is grammatically wrong to say I am favour.


3.)  a. He is a man of great confidence. [7 words]
      b. He is a very confident man. [6 words]
      c. He is very confident. [4 words]

Note: The word confidence in the first sentence is converted to confident because in the Example 3.a.confidence is in the form of a noun while in Example 3.b. and Example 3.c., the word "confident" is in the form of an adjective.